Divergent
Looks like you're not logged in! Guests are considered to be factionless, and don't have as much access as members do. And joining is free! Become a member today and chose your faction!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Divergent
Looks like you're not logged in! Guests are considered to be factionless, and don't have as much access as members do. And joining is free! Become a member today and chose your faction!
Divergent
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About Abnegation

Go down

About Abnegation Empty About Abnegation

Post by Piplope Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Main Information
Abnegation is the one and only faction dedicated to selflessness and forgetting oneself for the sake of others. Their substance in the Choosing Ceremony is gray stones. Abnegation value the virtue of selflessness over any other.
Abnegation Initiation
Abnegation initiates upon attaining membership are forced to reject a life of vanity and self-indulgence, protecting themselves from greed and envy which are considered forms of selfishness. Gossiping, using the mirror for long periods of time and buying luxury items are forbidden. As an Abnegation, the focus of their lives will be in serving others instead of themselves, anything done for self-enjoyment is thereby discouraged. They take the stairs and allow the elevators to be used by others. It is not unnatural for strangers on the streets to see an Abnegation helping them with anything such as carrying their groceries or treating their injury.
The initiates, who spend thirty days performing community service before they can become full members, sit side by side on a bench. One of the older members reads the Abnegation manifesto, then all of the older members wash the initiates feet. Then they all share a meal, each person serving food to the person on his left.
Traits
Immoral actions are not a trait of an Abnegation such as the usage of guns for violence. The faction mandates that guns be only used for self-defense. Their morally incorruptible quality makes them the only reasonable faction to be able to govern the city as political leaders. Because of their apparent submissive nature, it oftentimes allow other factions to think of them as weak.
Faction Relations
Abnegation, despite being seen as peaceful, neutral, and calm, have a fierce ongoing rivalry with the Erudite. Abnegation is in charge of the government, and the Erudite, who seek power, believe that they are in fact selfish people who only provide for their own faction.
Stiff is slang for Abnegation, and is commonly used by the Dauntless to describe those from Abnegation. Abnegation transfers to Dauntless are rare.
Abnegation is generally on good terms with Amity.
Manifestos
"I will be my undoing If I become my obsession.
I will forget the ones I love If I do not serve them.

I will war with others If I refuse to see them.

Therefore I choose to turn away from my reflection,

To rely not on myself

But on my brothers and sisters,

To project always outward

Until I disappear." *

(*Some members add a final line: “And only God remains.” That is at the discretion of each member, and is not compulsory.)
Interesting Facts
-Bow heads when greeting as a form of respect to one another.

-Members are only allowed to stand in front of the mirror on the second day of every third month for a haircut.

-Families move together in harmony, after dinner parties everyone in attendance help to clean-up afterwards.

-The houses in the Abnegation sector are all the same size and shape.

-Taught that physical contact is powerful, displayed affection is rare.

-Children aren't supposed to speak at the dinner table unless their parents ask them a direct question. Their listening ears are a gift to their parents, and then after dinner their parents give them the gift of their listening ears in the living room.

-Co-eds never sleep in the same room.

-Don’t believe in decorating rooms. They see art as impractical, and its appreciation is time that could be spent serving others.

-Don’t form real friendships because it is hard to do when no one feels like they can accept help or talk about themselves.

-On visiting day, initiates are allowed to visit their families and to visit with them as adults for the first time. They don’t need permission to speak, and are allowed to ask questions at the dinner table.

-Their funerals are a somber occasion. Everyone gathers to support the family of the deceased. There is no laughter, shouting, or joking.

-Most of what they eat is frozen or canned because the farms are far away.

-Eat dinner at the table. They always pass food to the right and wait to eat until everyone has been served.

-Eat plain food and don't drink alcohol.

-Believe kisses are not meant to be shared in public.

-View suicide as an act of selfishness because someone who is truly selfless does not think of himself often enough to desire death.

-Guilt is used as a tool, rather than a weapon against the self. They use it to remind themselves to do better the next time.

-They don't celebrate birthdays because it would be self-indulgent.

-Wear gray clothes and gray robes.

-In Dauntless slang they are called "Stiffs".
Piplope
Piplope
Admin

Coins : 21542

https://divergentcity.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum